Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Last Night in Town

I know my journey home began yesterday when I left Nusa Lembongan to head to the mailand. I chatted with a scuba instructor I had met last year and chatted briefly about dive sites in Bali and local divemasters we both know thorughout Bali. It was nice to feel like part of the "in crowd" for once. I know my diving experiences in Bali are very extraordiary and coveted by many divers throughout the world.

In Sanur, I had a slight mishap with the room I was staying in last night. I booked a room upon a recomendation after I couldnot find the # of where I wanted to stay. The owner said it was the last room above the cafe. It turned out to be an open air loft speaparted into two sections. One with a queen bed, the other with 3 day beds and a small TV. Ther ewas no door and the bathroom was shared downstairs. Relucctently, I accepted the room and went for a walk to start some of my last minute errands. I just couldn't be bothered to start walking down the street with my bags in hopes of finding something else. (This is the one downside I find while traveling alone; I never want to hunt for a room)When I returned, paid the 175, 000 rp (about $18-19) and found my bag had been moved, the mosquitoe net nicely draw and coils laid out to be burned. I couldn't sit arround there, so I went off in the other direction to take care of some photo printing to send back to Lembongan.

I took care of my errands, but kept feeling uneasy and upset. I realized I hated my room and needed to move. I found a better room for less money at the place I had wanted to stay (as I walked that far down the street). I knew I would be unhappy and unsettled if I did not move. So, they drove me back, I picked up my bags, and settled in for a nice night. I did some email, had my favorite diner Ayam Sate (chicken with peanut sauce), prepared my package to send back to Lembongan, and went to a local bar I liked down the street to have a final Bintang or two. Then I took a hot shower (first in 3 weeks) and sat on the balconey over looking the pool trying to collect my thoughts. In the morning I repacked my bag and headed to the airport. My last night in Bali turned out to be simple and perfect; a calm before a 20+ journey home to face the storm of life back in the US.

No comments: